Dr. Eng., Professor, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
1985 B. Eng. from Department of Chemical Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
1987 M. Sc. from Department of Chemical Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
1991 Dr. Eng. from the Department of Chemical Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology (Tokyo Tech)
1991-2002 Assistant Professor at the Research Laboratory for Nuclear Reactors (RLNR), Tokyo Institute of Technology
1997-1998 Research Fellow at the Centre for Study of Environmental Change and Sustainability at the University of Edinburgh, UK
2002-2015 Associate Professor at RLNR, Tokyo Tech
2015- Professor at Laboratory for Advanced Nuclear Energy, Institute of Innovative Research, Tokyo Tech
Academic Societies’ Activity:
- Director, Division of Energy Engineering, Society of Chemical Engineers of Japan (2009-2010)
- Chair, Research Committee for Carbon Recycling Ironmaking System, Iron and Steel Institute of Japan (2015-).
- Director, Division of Industrial Chemical Machinery & Safety Division, The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers(2016)
- Vice Director, Division of Environmental, Energy and Social Engineering, The Iron and Steel Institute of Japan(2016-).
- Expert from Japan, International Energy Agency (IEA) ECES Annex 25(2013-2015), Annex 30(2015-17).
Member of the Heat Transfer Society of Japan, Atomic Energy Society of Japan, Japan Society of Energy and Resource.
Energy Conversion, Energy Storage, Energy Transportation, Chemical heat pumps, Chemical heat storage system, Hydrogen production system, Zero carbon dioxide emission energy system, Carbon recycling energy system
Major Publications: Dr Kato has published 80 refereed journal publications and 102 proceedings papers. He has also edited three books, 20 participation writing books and 27 patents.